Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summer of 2011 I was able to acquire long sought instructions from two competent tutors in Italy, in addition to touring most museums in Rome Florence and Venus. The picture that captured me most was Judith, by Artemisia Gentileschi and with the assistance of my talented tutor Joan Canevori I began painting a copy. I first saw the painting in Rome and we worked in Florence with a small museum-book copy. When I departed Florence for Milan the painting was unfinished. Arriving in Milan there was a show of Artemisia's works from all over the world. The Judith painting now resided in this show, as it had been moved from Rome to Milan. I was able to view it very close at eye level for hours. The show offered for sale a beautifully detailed poster of the painting, imagine my surprise to find that the poster and my painting were scaled one to one. After returning home I finished the painting with an intent to restore my painting to the croma and finish that the painting had when created in sixteen hundreds. I considered the evidence on the painting such as minute paint flaking and the effects time had on different colors using information I was able to research. Of course, we will never know if I got it correct but I made the effort up to the level of my humble skills.

No comments: